Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., one of the world's largest insurance brokerage and risk management services firms, provides a full range of retail and wholesale property/casualty (P/C) brokerage and alternative risk transfer services globally, as well as employee benefit brokerage, consulting and actuarial services. Gallagher also offers claims and information management, risk control consulting and appraisal services to clients around the world. If you're looking for a professional career with an industry leader then you have come to the right place. Wherever your interests lie, we're sure you will agree on one thing: our continued prosperity hinges on our greatest resource --- our people.
The Cloud Engineer will be responsible for the creation of a technology framework and providing technical leadership in support of AJG initiatives in cloud computing and automation, with a focus on the design of systems and services that run on cloud platforms.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Demonstrate knowledge of DevOps tool chains and processes
- Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the AJG application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the "why," and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on latest trends, technology, etc.
- Develop solutions architecture and evaluate architectural alternatives for private, public and hybrid cloud models, including IaaS, PaaS, and other cloud services
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for cloud applications
- Troubleshoot and resolution of complex problems within the infrastructure
- Work on designing/implementing/automation procedures for deployment, configuration, patching and upgrading of systems and applications
- Conduct analysis of production systems and performance testing results to identify areas of improvement within the application or infrastructure
- Conduct feasibility studies for existing and emerging cloud technologies
- Provide mentoring and guidance for mid and junior level staff, offering feedback targeted at individual development
- Work closely with vendors, internal groups and outside agencies to provide technical leadership and solutions
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Share domain and technical expertise, providing technical mentorship and cross-training to other peers and team members.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including technical cloud architecture, network management, application development, middleware, database management or operations
- Experience with Azure Shell scripting/PowerShell scripting
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of all components of an technical architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Strong understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or client/server
- Strong client-facing consultative skills, able to act as a customer advocate;
- Understanding of Windows Server architecture -Windows 2012, Windows 2016 and IIS;
- Understanding of Linux Server architecture - RHEL, Oracle Linux, Amazon Linux, etc.
- Experience with containers (Docker) and orchestration (Kubernetes) technologies;
- Familiar with one or more server-side scripting languages (e.g. PowerShell, Python, Bash)
- Familiarity with server hardware selection, design and troubleshooting;
- Understanding of High Availability and Networked Storage solutions including Clustering, Failover and Disaster Recovery products and concepts such as MS Clustering Services, Load Balancing, Routers, LUNS, SAN and NAS;
- Understanding of application layer protocols, such as HTTP/S, TCP/IP, UDP and Web sockets;
- Demonstrated abilities with SSO-related software such as ADFS, Ping Identity, OpenSSO, oAuth, Okta or other SAML & OpenID Connect providers;
- Understanding of Web application security and concepts, such as Ticketing, header injection, XSS, SSL, HTTPS, Kerberos, certificates, Active Directory, LDAP, reverse proxies and firewalls;
- Hands on experience designing and deploying complex solutions in AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or other cloud providers;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills to technical and non-technical audiences.
U.S. Eligibility Requirements:
- Interested candidates must submit an application and resume/CV online to be considered
- Are you 18 years of age or older or can you demonstrate legal capacity to enter a contract?
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation; any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States. For U.S. employment opportunities, Gallagher hires U.S. citizens, permanent residents, asylees, refugees, and temporary residents. Temporary residence does not include those with non-immigrant work authorization (F, J, H or L visas), such as students in practical training status. Exceptions to these requirements will be determined based on shortage of qualified candidates with a particular skill. Gallagher will require proof of work authorization
- Must be willing to execute Gallagher's Employee Agreement or Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreement which requires, among other things, post-employment obligations relating to non-solicitation, confidentiality and non-disclosure
Gallagher offers competitive salaries and benefits, including: medical/dental/vision plans, life and accident insurance, 401(K), employee stock purchase plan, educational expense reimbursement, employee assistance program, flexible work hours (availability varies by office and job function) training programs, matching gift program, and more.
Gallagher believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against nor favor any applicant because of race, sex, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, gender, gender identity / expression, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. Equal employment opportunity will be extended in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, layoff, and termination. In addition, Gallagher will make reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.