- Monitor and direct the activities of the Slitter Assistant by monitoring their work and advising and/or guiding as needed
- Train Slitter Assistant to a comfortable level of proficiency that will allow them to run through breaks and fill-in as an operator as needed
- Work with supervision, planning and Quality to get rework completed efficiently
- Ensure proper and accurate set up of the machine including the following:
- Review job folder and data on computer regarding job
- Use hoist to hang rolls
- Review blueprints and complete slitting checklist to obtain accurate customer specifications
- Set web guides and knives pursuant to customer specifications
- Wipe rollers with alcohol, adjust gauges, adjust cores or spacers and put lay down arms on slitter
- Prepare machine (check specifications) for next job by reviewing job folder and data on computer
- Ensure machine is operating according to process specifications
- Watch for wrinkles, voids, print quality, and fisheyes on current job running
- Record sets on AS400 and daily totals on scoreboards as required
- Set footage counter, hang rolls, cut out press stops and splices
- Take sets off slitter and put cores on slitter
- Obtain and deliver samples to the lab for Quality Assurance
- Help assistants by labelling, bagging, and putting away sets as time permits
- Follow all safety rules
- Complete other duties as assigned by Manufacturing Supervisor
- This job/role is responsible for helping the site meet their quality objectives.
Job Specific skills and abilities
- Proficient mathematical and measurement skills. Knowledge of metric conversions
- 1-2 years slitter assistant experience preferred
- Ability to run multiple job simultaneously
- Ability to handle project-type work while working individually with little supervision
- Experience working with production computer software
- Broad knowledge of product and customer specifications
- Mechanical knowledge of and ability to adjust gauges, scales and hand tools
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Occasionally, the employee is required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; vibration; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold and extreme heat. Occasionally, the employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.