The Product and Application Development (PAD) engineer is responsible for driving composite material development projects and support efforts to win and retain business, leading and supporting efforts to reduce cost, support other business initiatives as a representative of product technology, and supporting continuous improvement and operational excellence efforts. The successful PAD will be helping implement new technologies and solutions by effectively collaborating with our customers, marketing, sales, manufacturing and technology.
This position will report into the PAD manager.Roles & Responsibilities
- Promote Goal Zero, safety, housekeeping, and compliance policies and practices: Support Goal Zero, safety, housekeeping, and compliance policies and practices. Operate in a safe, clean, and productive manner. Support efforts to enhance the safety of Lyondellbasell operations (for example assist in safe handling and use of raw materials in development and manufacturing, actively participating in HSE team, and actively participating in safety audits...). Promote all aspects of the Lyondellbasell Health, Safety, and Environmental guidelines.
- New Business Awards & Innovation: Identify and implement innovative new product technologies for break-through product performance in order to build the pipeline for future growth. Generate and find new ideas, conduct proof-of-concept scouting, and push for market implementation. Lead and/or contribute to product development projects. Optimize existing technologies for improved product performance to meet market or customer objectives. Lead projects using solid scientific principals and statistical analysis to deliver on performance objectives. Extend rigor to take new products from the laboratory to the manufacturing floor, ensuring consistent manufacturing performance of the products. Document and communicate most important project learning in technical reports, support efforts in matters of our freedom to operate, identify & pursue patentable ideas via patent disclosures, and prepare patent applications. Work with marketing, commercial, manufacturing, quality, and technology teams to ensure success of efforts to win new business including efforts such as creation and management of product datasheets, technical bulletins, and other technical product literature. Develop and leverage an understanding of our products' value proposition and fit in market.
- Cost Reduction & Business Continuity: Lead and contribute to cost reduction projects (e.g. raw material cost reduction, scrap reduction, efficiency enhancement,...) as a representative of product technology. Provide guidance to the business unit in respect to supplier selection and alternate sources of key raw materials. Actively working on new raw material development and raw material portfolio optimization. Provide guidance to business unit in respect to managing product portfolio.
- Operational Excellence: Support continuous improvement and operational excellence efforts. Prepare and deliver technical presentations at meetings or conferences, and actively participate in technical organizations and professional associations related to the targeted BU core technologies. Develop documentation to aid in knowledge retention, employee training, and new employee on-boarding. Effectively communicate key updates in a timely manner to aid in effective collaboration. Lead projects using solid scientific principals and statistical analysis and help the organization find improved ways to leverage such tools. Ensure compliance to performance management system. Support business initiatives and work in a manner consistent with LyondellBasell values.
- Initiatives & Global Collaboration: Support other business initiatives as a representative of product technology, e.g. capacity expansion, quality improvement, and customer support. Support problem solving of customer complaints. Act as a technical consultant to manufacturing sites for product or process related items. Provide technical advice and training to internal (sales support, technicians, etc.) and external customers on product offerings and technologies. Assist in development of, and support and adhere to, the quality management system and design and development procedures.
- The position requires a University / College degree in chemical engineering, polymer science or engineering, material science or engineering, mechanical engineering, composites engineering, or chemistry.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, write routine correspondence effectively and to speak fluently with internal and external customers.
- Must have excellent communication and project management skills for working with cross functional teams.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential - and responsibility - to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That's why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world's most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.Nearest Major Market:
Bay City Nearest Secondary Market: