Astra's mission is to improve life on Earth from space by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Astra delivered its first commercial payload into Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after being founded in 2016. By achieving monthly, weekly, then daily launches, we'll create the infrastructure services our customers need in space to build a healthier and more connected planet. If you're excited by a sense of possibility, the chance to innovate, and make a difference here on Earth, we think you should work here too.The Team
Astra leads the industry in applying agile iterative development to space launch systems. Astra's System Engineering team is at the center of this process: orchestrating the technical details for our current and future rockets, engaging in immediate and long-term analysis to determine what systems to build and when, managing all requirements across the entire company, and leading engineering reviews. We work in close collaboration with a wide spectrum of stakeholders both inside and outside of Astra, delivering answers bound by physics and engineering. Our input is vital to making sure we are building the right thing.The Opportunity
In this role, you will lead the definition of the systems architecture, development of complex, state-of-the-art systems for launch system applications for commercial and government customers. You will be a member of a high-performance systems engineering team interacting with product management, technical program management, design & analysis engineers, integration and test engineers and senior technologists.
You will participate in all phases of the system development life cycle, includingsystem design, requirements development, analysis and decomposition, software and hardware system design, algorithm design, risk management, concept of operations (CONOPS) development, integration, test and documentation. Some of the areas you will contribute to include:
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Apply heuristic and functional decomposition techniques to scope the design and development of new architectures or upgrades to existing architectures
- Evaluates product needs to define and coordinate system performance requirements, integrate technical parameters and assure compatibility of all physical, functional and program interfaces
- Work closely with systems and design engineers to rapidly assess conceptual designs, perform system trade studies, develop integrated design solutions, formulate system margin strategy and performance parameters.
- Performs analyses for affordability, safety, reliability, maintainability, testability, system security, regulatory, certification, product assurance and other specialties quality factors into a preferred configuration
- Lead system and sub-system level architecture development, requirements definition, analysis, multi-segment interface definition, functional decomposition, and CONOPS activities.
- Document system-level architecture, system models, results of trade studies, functional flow block diagrams, and data flows.
- Providing technical oversight and review support to development groups during program design and development,
- Support system level integration and test planning and execution including functional validation as well as Qualification Data Reviews
- Working with Technical Program Managers to develop initial program schedules and budgets
Why We Value You
- Partner: with our Engineering and Product teams to create and define systems that will make a difference in how Astra operates and give your perspective on how the teams should best do their work
- Build: the architectures to meet the customer's need and inform engineering trades in support of engineering requirements for the launch system
- Collaborate: across the Engineering, Manufacturing, Operations and Product organizations to Integrate and ensure our product integrates and meets the design Intent
- Develop: Create and oversee processes that will enable Astra to stay disciplined in systems architecture definition
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in an Engineering field or other related field.
- Requires 10+ years related experience working in a technical capacity,
- Experience in launch systems design, architecture definition, and functional analysis.
- Experience in CONOPS development, trade studies, and requirements/interface definitions.
- Experience in architectural design leveling development risk across various elements with simple easy verifiable interfaces
- Experience in conducting complex system trades involving critical attributes of performance, cost, operability, reliability, and system safety
- Master's Degree or higher in Engineering, preferably aerospace or mechanical.
- Experience with large scale end-to-end launch systems architecture development.
- Working knowledge of Model Based Systems Engineering approaches, methods, and techniques.
- Experience with Model Based Engineering tools and languages such as Enterprise Architecture, Cameo, MagicDraw, and UML/SysML.
- Experience across the product life cycle (pre-conceptual design through field support).
- Working knowledge in the use of 3-D CAD tools and configuration and data management software
- Experienced with project management practices
- Familiarity with formal risk and opportunity management processes.
- Experience working with customers, subcontractors and vendors in various levels, technical and business relationship engagements,
This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant's status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.San Francisco Applicants:
Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.